Yeah so when I was a little girl I really thought fifty was a big deal. I could never see myself as almost or even near fifty, and if I did make it there, I thought it would be a miracle.
Now I am here.
And all the more WONDERFUL that I am.
Amazing. I still haven’t figured out if LIFE slows down, or “I” just have slowed down a bit. I think it’s me.
Now I can seem to appreciate all that’s around me and even “value” differently if I want to. I still enjoy helping folk. I thought at some point in my life, that would become less interesting , and I wouldn’t want nor desire to be a social worker/ counselor/ mental health therapist , anymore.
But it didn’t change.
It just became a bit sweeter. And the job more refined. Feels good.
As I was writing this, I realized not everyone feels the same about getting older. Some are depressed, some are really just feeling awful about it, and others are just like : ” Can’t I just be 35 again?”
Well, I just noticed that the reason I feel so good about gaining another year, and actually arriving here, is because I don’t take life for granted. I just really, really appreciate my life, my family, and my friends and all the fluff in between. I don’t have a lot of fluff, but it sure feels good to think like I can ‘create’ some fluff’, every now and then.
Here’ what’s wonderful about fifty:
- The fact I can be myself. With no explanations.
- The fact that I am ME. Purely Myself, and I like myself.
- The fact that life at this age, you kind of know what to expect. It doesn’t really get any easier, and it really doesn’t get any harder, either.
- The fact that I have an empty nest, and have had one most of my life And it’s OK.
- The fact that life is GOOD. I like keeping it simple, here.
- The fact I have lived my life in such a way that I look younger than 50; and being quite content with that.
- That all my nieces and nephews have grown up and I get to see what they’ve become.
- The fact that I can see what miniatures of them look like, now as well.
- The fact I can do #Netflix&chill …and be OK with just about a few eves a week. ( Why do we put the words ‘Netflix and chill’, together?” ) (What’s that about?)
I think my joy for living and helping others truly live and thrive – is what keeps me going. Someone, somewhere is often way worse off than I am, and I think it’s what keeps me going in the field in which I work, the life that I live, I know this. And I’m not doing all that bad, I guess.’
Again, just so you know… I will be writing about my “fifty days to fifty” series until I am done. I’ll be fifty a while, so.. stay tuned. 😉